Immigration Services - Electronic Travel Authorization – Leniency Period Ends November 9

September 07, 2016

Background: Historically, citizens of countries who were visa-exempt such as the UK, Australia, and France, could fly to or transit through Canada simply
with their passports.

Change: As of November 9, 2016, visa-exempt nationals will be required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to traveling. The eTA is obtained online, costs $7.00, and is approved within minutes. The eTA is valid for multiple entries; for a period of five years, or until the passport expiry date.

Travelers who require an eTA will not be permitted to board their flight without it.

Exemption: US citizens, travellers with a valid Canadian visa, and Canadian permanent residents do not need to obtain the eTA.

Analysis: Having an eTA does not replace the need for a work or study permit, as it only acts as a travel document. It is the responsibility of each traveler to ensure that they have the right documentation to enter Canada as a foreign worker or student.

BDO Immigration Services can help to obtain travellers’ eTAs and prepare the necessary paperwork for work and study permits.

For additional information and details of the changes to the program, please contact BDO Immigration Services.


Mark Chow, Partner 
Doreen Buksner, Senior Manager